Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Health Food: Fact or Fiction?

I like to think we're pretty healthy eaters. We've cut out sweets (well...kind of...). We eat fresh fruits, vegetables, whole grains and even eat sprouts I sprouted myself! (Thanks mama Vinton!) I have an amazing "eat clean" cookbook with recipes to die for! There have been a few though that we'll definitely only make once. For example... Leslie's eggplant chicken... Need I say more?? When we eat healthy we feel a thousand times better and it's such a good feeling knowing that we're giving our wonderful bodies the absolute best. So along our path of health food consumption, I've been getting a lot of books from our local library, one of which is called You Are What You Eat by Dr Gillian McKeith. She knows so much about food and what's good and why it's good for you. But she is also an extremist. Let me give you a list of some of my favorite and you can decide for yourself.
1- You have toxins in your body if you use a computer or cell phone on a daily basis. (guilty)
2- She groups tap water in the same category as fruit juices, carbonated beverages, teas, and coffee...
3- If you have a line running down the middle of your tongue you lack the necessary enzymes to digest cows milk (Don't we all?? Maybe that's her point...) and we should avoid it at all costs.
4- We must use "food grouping" when we eat to prevent our stomach from fermenting our food and causing gas. For example: fruit must never be mixed with any other foods, meat and carbohydrates must all be eaten separately. You can mix veggies with carbs but not meat (maybe that's my problem).
5- If you're feeling a little "gunky" just go for an enema or colonic hydrotherapy... (Are you for real?? I feel like I have enough experience with enemas to say no way, never, I'd rather die thank you for the offer).

Reading her book has helped me realize that I don't have to do and believe everything I learn on health or nutrition. I need to take a little from all the sources I read and adapt them to our personal life style. Being healthy is important and it truly does make such a difference in every aspect of our life! And it wouldn't be right if I didn't thank my wonderful mother in law for sharing all her immense knowledge. She is amazing!

1 comment:

  1. teach me your ways to a cute little body like yours, i may just need to borrow that lovely book! You are too nice missy! Thanks for the generous compliments your so sweet!

    ReplyDelete

Riding Shamu... living the dream

Riding Shamu... living the dream

HaLLowEeN!

HaLLowEeN!
These are our friends Kelsey and Caleb. We got to the party and saw that we matched. Ben is one handsome baby boy!